I'm resuscitating my March Madness mascot life this year, but can just manage the list starting with the Sweet Sixteen in a timely manner. I'll retroactively post the entire list at some point, or not.
A few things that caught my attention this year:
- Three Pistol Petes made the tourney this year: Oklahoma State, New Mexico State, and Wyoming. (Though New Mexico State is the Aggies, their mascot is a cowboy. Guess that's more intimidating than a farmer.) Not surprisingly, in this era of marketing, OSU filed a lawsuit against NMS about the use of their "Classic Aggie" image.
- Blaze, the UAB dragon, is quite cute.
- There is a mascot and a nickname inspired by non-newspaper texts: UC Irvine's Peter the Anteater, inspired by Johhny Hart's B.C. comic strip, and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers honor a proud bird in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.
- Does Harvard have a mascot or not? I see online pictures of him, but have found nothing official online, nor have I seen him at the games. Granted, he probably wouldn't get much airtime, based on the pictures I've seen.
- The WaPo mascot emjoi's created by Juila Herfernan made me smile.
I leave you with the mascot emoji mentioned in this post, plus one.